Friday, September 28, 2007

Cutest story ever told

Its that time of the year here in US when the Indians around you start talking about their up-coming trip to India. One of the things that made my trip to India last year memorable was the time I spent with my two little cousins Pooja and Anu. They are 10 and 7 respectively. When I came to US, I missed them more than anyone. I didn't miss my parents or my own siblings much as I grew up outside the family and got back home the year Pooja was born and stayed home till coming here.

When I was there, on one of those days, just before they were going to sleep, they asked me to tell them a story. So I started on a story for which Pooja said she already knew that and she continued the story. Once she has finished the story, her little sister Anu, wanting not to be left alone said she also knows many such stories. I asked her to tell me one. What followed is the cutest story I have ever heard. I don't know if anyone not knowing Kannada would get this. But, I have tried to translate this to English and hope not much is lost in the translation.

Anu : Ondu uuralli obba Raja idda. Avanige thumba vaysagitthu. [Pause]...Aag ondu ajji bandlu noodu...

[Translation - Once upon a time there was a King. He was very old. [Pause, and in a highly dramatic tone]... Then,all of a sudden,there comes a old witchy woman and...]
As she was finishing her third sentence I was laughing out loud and literally rolling on the floor. She is so cute and unpretentious. I still remember her innocent face as she was watching me hysterically laughing. Don't moments like these make you cringe when you think she is going to be a year older when you see her next time?

1 comment:

Bhavana said...

awww cute:)luv thm fr their innocence:)

Site Meter