Saturday, October 20, 2007

Uppitt Day

Its all happening here this weekend! (just like Bill Lawry would say!). Final round of Formula One race in Brazil, the lone 20Twenty Cricket match between India and Australia and one of my favarite radio show Prairie Home Companion in Charlotte, NC. With Cricket Match being scheduled nicely for 9:30 Saturday morning I decided its perfect time for Uppitt. Yesterday evening I made sure I had Rave (Soji), Curry leaves, green chilies and other ingredients.

I woke up at 10:30 A.M. halfway though the Cricket match and made Tea (Chai, actually). As per the plan I proceeded to make Uppitt after sometime. Half way through the "mission", it was time for adding salt (which is Uppu in Uppittu). I opened the cupboard and found myself out of Salt. Then I searched another cupboard frantically, only to find an old empty salt container. I cut open the containers and I could only muster 1 spoon of salt. I was Mad-as-hell!

I didn't want to go to grocery store at that time. And then as I was looking around the kitchen cabinet I found a small salt dispenser I filled in months ago to host a party in my apartment. It had as much as I wanted. I was so glad and relieved to have found "Uppu"(salt) to make Uppitt. Its such an Irony. I couldn't help taking pictures of it. Here is the picture of the open salt containers and the small salt dispenser which had some slat left in it -


The Uppitt itself came out very nice. A bright sunny Fall day outside, a live Cricket Match on TV, bisi bisi Uppitt first thing in the morning...What else can a man ask for? ...SwaRrGakke KiCchu AcchuEnda SarWagNa!...(Translation : whit things like that,Who cares if the heavens catch fire!). Here is the picture of Uppitt I made this morning -

3 comments:

Ravishankar Hirisave said...

mmmmmmmm...Uppitt!!!
Thats quite a desperate attempt there my friend. But the Uppit looks very very inviting. Maybe you can post the recipe sometime? I'm sure you will not forget to mention the salt !!!

3 D said...

Brah, Its not that long ago that you were telling me the recipe on phone. I am sure you can remember that!!!

Kimi rules!

Anonymous said...

Wow! This is some cool reading Ranga. You have a flair for writing!

Sitting here in India, it is nice to know what I have (and what I have not) missed by returning to India.

Anyway, fascinating stuff bro!

Site Meter